Friday 5 August 2011

Pec Surprise

Walked into N Hide at Cley late morning and was asked to help out with the ID of a wader which they suspected was a Pec Sand.

Bird flew in closer, nice Adult Pectoral Sandpiper! Released the news and a few birders including S Gantlett managed to see it before it flew out of sight. Seems to like the left corner looking out from the hide.

Cley is looking in perfect condition for a really rare wader this month.


This was the best shot I could manage on my phone when the bird briefly flew in closer to the hide. Before it was chased away by the usual Avocet pair that attack any close waders!

I was surprised by how yellow the legs were. The pectoral band was very defined. The structure was very similar to a miniature Ruff, hunched over when feeding. Size was smaller than the Green Sandpipers next to it.

Stopped at Buxton Heath on way home briefly. One Crossbill flew over but highlight for me (of the day!) was a new moth. A Beautiful Yellow Underwing . Dayflying Heathland species which I did not even recognise until I looked it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment